Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Up in the Air, Down in the Dumps

The first half of "Up in the Air" was screamingly funny, original, witty, all the good things you would like while suffering being packed like a sardine into the holiday theatre crowd.

What the heck happened after hour one? Instead of a funny and witty comedy the director, or somebody, decided it had to be a "relationship" movie with "deep meaning" for the main character, showing his flaws, depressing life and making sure we get a sad ending. Too bad.

Cow cautiously recommends this movie because the first half was good enough to make up for the rest of it.

When will Hollywood realize we would like the "Happy Ending" please, our own lives have enough sad depressing stuff we don't need to pay to see it on screen.

Moo!

4 Comments:

Blogger Gorilla Bananas said...

Hear hear, Ms Cow! I hate unhappy endings. Leave the depressing stuff for the advertisements.

3:08 AM  
Blogger Karen ^..^ said...

I'll give this one a miss. I really don't like George Clooney, I don't think he's a very good actor. I did like him in E.R. though. He should have stuck to TV.

6:20 AM  
Blogger The Topiary Cow said...

GB: Oh my goodness, there is a gorilla in the house! (Cow very glad you're back!)

Yes, there is certainly enough in ads--whether it is looking at the celebrity, thinking how one can't afford it, or just being annoyed, ads are definitely a downer.

Welcome back!

Karen:
Agreed, Clooney is good at playing one thing, the suave professional, when he strays too far from that it just doesn't work.

He was good as the suave professional with J Lopez in Out of Sight, he was good as the suave professional divorce lawyer in Intolerable Cruelty with Catherine Zeta Jones, and good in this as the suave professional corporate dude...

Cow is with Karen and Gorilla, wanting some laughs and a happy ending for her holiday.

Moo!

6:38 AM  
Blogger watercolordaisy said...

That's what I've heard: Great movie, BAD ending. Drat.

Saw Avatar. Plot is predictable, as you've no doubt heard, but the movie is gorgeous! Didn't feel like I was watching computer animation at all. As visually stunning as it is, I'd venture that a more detailed plot might take away from absorbing the visual richness. ?? That's my theory. As thin as that is. ha. See it in 3d, though. I didn't (not my choice) and I can see how it would be even better. I'm going to see it again in 3d.

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home