Tuesday, September 15, 2009

"Order is economy of time and money; it allows us to give a better quality and greater quantity of results in both our material and intellectual labors because with it, we take full advantage of time, avoiding dawdling, delay, and doubt. Disorder is the dissipation of time and talent, the ruin of all the advantages of organization."

Oh dear. Cow did not have the advantage of growing up reading The Catholic Manual of Civility but someone helpfully posted it.

Cow wonders if people are trained to be orderly, or born to be messy. Cow does make sporadic efforts to clean and organize, but they just don't last. In seems a struggle against her nature, to keep things clean.

Is Mess inborn, inculated during gestation because of Mom eating too many cookies, perhaps? Can one successfully train oneself to be orderly?

Picture courtesy of Cultural Manual of Civility.

7 Comments:

Blogger watercolordaisy said...

If you figure it out, let me know.... My house is always a wreck. Although, thankfully, never so bad as to get on a tv show for it... lol!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Gorilla Bananas said...

People who don't enjoy sex often complain that it's messy. I think this is a topic for one of Dr Freud's disciples, Ms Cow.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Lulu LaBonne said...

Did you write the manual and is that picture in your house and do you keep a half naked man in every room - just in case?????

If you have any spare send them over as I quite like to see a toned torso now and again

11:56 PM  
Blogger The Topiary Cow said...

Watercolor: TV stations not knocking on Cow's door either, but it may only be a matter of time!

GB: Ah. As Freud says: There are no accidents. So apparently Cow MEANS to leave her dishes in the sink and her floor needing a vacuum from some deep-seated urge.

Perhaps, though, Topiary CAN have accidents. Freud may not have known the complexities of Topiary Thought.

Lulu: No no, real manual, picture shameless stolen from their website.

Down girl, down! No half-naked men to share. You'd just cover them with bugs and film them anyway!

Moo!

6:46 AM  
Blogger kate said...

There truly is a messy gene and my sister got it. I high school I used to get cuts on my feet from the CD cases and dishes and other scary things that formed the disaster that was the floor of her bedroom. I think I still have scars.

I'd like to think it was an elaborate booby trap to keep me out but you should see her house now, 20 years later. Let's just say I always wear shoes..... -kate

6:28 AM  
Blogger The Topiary Cow said...

Glad to hear it's genetic---still fighting the same fight 20 years too...those messy Topiary clippings all over really mount up

(along with Topiary unmentionables and socks not being put in the laundry bin, naturally)

Moo!

8:49 AM  
Blogger linda said...

I was born chaotic. It is a daily effort to keep it under control.

Although...never has my room been that messy. Well, maybe when I was young and single.

Maybe if I were Catholic it would help.

5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home