Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Six months in Sudan

"The story started when I was standing in a customs line, waiting to board the plane to Germany for training with Medecins Sans Frontieres, when my friend Matt called and asked why I had decided to go. I told him I wanted to see who I was when everything was taken away, when all the insulation between the world and me was removed."

Aside from his apparent death wish (he starts smoking while simultaneously praying to be sent to a war region) the author tells an interesting tale of volunteer medicine in the world's lost and forgotten places.

From Six Months in Sudan" A Young Doctor in a War-Torn Village, by James Maskalyk, Random House, 2009.

3 Comments:

Blogger linda said...

Brave men and woman who are part of the Medecins Sans Frontieres. I am always impressed by the sacrifices they make. I feel a bit of envy. I feel very routine. That is why I give money each month to the group.

2:45 AM  
Blogger raydenzel1 said...

It is good to see someone, somewhere, that cares.

3:12 AM  
Blogger The Topiary Cow said...

Linda, since you contribute to their cause, you'd be pleased to read the author's take on his travel:

"As an MSF volunteer, you take public transit and stay in hostels. You brief sleepless and fly economy. An unnecessary dollar spent on you is one less for the field."

RJ: yes, they do a lot of good work. The book was fascinating, especially the descriptions of epidemics which vaccines prevent in our country.

Moo!

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home