Friday, January 23, 2009

Weekend Reading

"My Dear Son,
I am appalled, even horrified, that you have adopted Classics as a major. As a matter of fact, I almost puked on the way home today. I am a practical man, and for the life of me I cannot possibly understand why you should wish to speak Greek....

These subjects might give you a community of interest with an isolated few impractical dreamers, and a select group of college professors. God forbid!

I think you are rapidly becoming a jackass, and the sooner you get out of that filthy atmosphere, the better it will suit me."

Letter from Ted Turner's father to his son in college. Ted in turn provided the letter to the college paper, which reproduced it in full in the next edition.

From "Call Me Ted" by Ted Turner, 2008.

6 Comments:

Blogger From the Doghouse said...

Daddy Dearest?

9:09 AM  
Blogger Gorilla Bananas said...

He sounds like a fictional character! Was he really playing himself?

10:35 AM  
Blogger linda said...

Oh, how nice. He seems so concerned for his son's welfare. We wouldn't want any arty farty sorts in the world would we now?

If my son adopted Classics as a major I would cry with the joy of it. And write him a letter of thanks.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Sandi said...

How about that. I have something in common with Ted Turner.
(only mine was a minor)

7:59 PM  
Blogger TimT said...

Sounds like they had a lovely relationship, too!

I kinda like 'em both...

3:13 AM  
Blogger The Topiary Cow said...

Dog: You are right!

GB: Dad later reneged on a promise to put his son through college and stopped paying his tuition.

Linda: Yup. Well on the bright side at least he didn't ignore his son!

Watercolor: Glad to make you laugh!

Sandi: Oh dear. Methinks there is more to this story than you have written!

TimT: The Dad later committed suicide...sad tale all around...

Moo!

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home