Saturday, May 24, 2008

Boredom

Topiary went to the moovies today. She saw about the first hour of Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull.... then she saw about 30 minutes of Chronicles of Narnia Prince Caspian. ...then she saw around an hour of Iron Man.

Cow would be happy to sit through entire moovies if only they weren't so slow, or boring, or predictable, or (name your poison).

Strangely enough, despite the distraction of the drug-ravaged face of Robert Downey and the strangely unappealing red-wigged Gwenyth Paltrow, Iron Man was the best. Cow did keep imagining though how much better it could have been with a leading man not wearing his history of addictions with quite so many lines in his face, and a side-kick with some chemistry instead of the wooden Ms. Paltrow.

As for the Crystal Skull, the first scene was really good, though it was clear George Lucas reached back to the days of American Graffiti and showed his car obsession once again. To hard-core Indiana Jones fans Cow is sure the moovie will be a delight. Cow just wasn't hooked though.

Glad to see a preview with Guy Pearce in a leading role...will be looking forward to that.

Hope everyone in the US is having a good three-day weekend. For those in the Congo and in Britain, Monday is Memorial Day, a holiday which Americans celebrate by eating. Like they do every other holiday.

Moo!

10 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Musgrove said...

I have to admit that much though I love cinema I find it difficult going to see films these days.

The sound is always upped to the max so that I have to take in ear protectors to hear the dialogue.

More thought and planning goes into the special effects than in the plot or characterisation.

You can't see the credits because nearly all the audience wants to rush out for a cigaratte or exotic cheroot.

Last time I went to the cinema with friends they asked me: "are you OK watching this? You know it's in colour?"

Whitsun Bank Holiday for us. Because we never remember anything.

7:40 AM  
Blogger watercolordaisy said...

Have you seen The Waitress? I saw it on Pay per View yesterday and it is the best movie I've seen in a while. Sharp writing, lovely cinematography.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Webmaster said...

Ack ... I'm on my way to see Indy right now. Maybe I'll enjoy it, if only because I'll be in the company of friends.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Gorilla Bananas said...

I too am disappointed by movies these days. Perhaps Ms Cow should revisit a few classics on DVD. I shall amuse myself with song and dance.

3:33 PM  
Blogger CluckyRN said...

TC, It shames me to admit that I just realized you had returned from hiatus and resumed your beautifully composed commentary. You were sorely missed, and it pleases me to no end to see your well-placed twigs and leaves!
~:>

4:01 PM  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Did cow leave branches all over the chairs like moulting hairs?

3:07 PM  
Blogger From the Doghouse said...

Theater chairs aren't built for TC comfort anyway.

7:33 AM  
Blogger The Topiary Cow said...

Kevin: Cow agrees about the sound. And this goes for DVDs too. As for the credits, Cow thought she was the only one who watched those!

And have a happy holiday free from the guilt of American holidays!

Watercolor: Waitresses are Cow favorites: people who bring food and drink, so it stands to reason their moovie would be good.

Sandi: Cow is awaiting your review.

Gorilla: Cow agrees, the classics are always worth a visit, though watching Gorilla sing and dance comes a close second!

Clucky: Welcome! And how kind of you to notice Cow's well-placed twigs!

Ultra: Cow heard a few mutterings from the clean-up crews of all three theatres. Fie on them.

Doghouse: Chairs? Cow uses the standing room at the back of course. Also avoids popcorn falling from the seats above.

Moo!

8:09 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Carter said...

Doesn't that get expensive? Or do you have a secret?

11:19 AM  
Blogger Webmaster said...

I liked it. But being an Indy movie, I went in expecting hokiness and surreal action scenes. And I was amazed at Harrison Ford. That man does not look his age.

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home