Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Cow is just a number...

Found this interesting research courtesy of Library Guy.

The research documents among other things, that from 1856 to 1978, US library users borrowed about 15 books per user per year. From 1978 to 2004, book circulation per user declined approximately 50%.

Does this mean something for our society? Cow has commented before about being one of two persons in her office to have, and to use, a library card (of 15 persons).

Whatever the reason, Cow really likes the way Galbi writes. Here's a sample of what Oxford and the MIT could have done for you, too:

"In the U.S., many persons are obsessed with being number 1. Here at the Carnival of the Bureaucrats, we applaud popular enthusiasm for being a number. But bureaucrats are capable of producing many numbers, each unique and special. What's important is not what number you are, but what that number actually means."

And Cow, of course, is number 186,282.

Moo!

9 Comments:

Blogger CluckyRN said...

This chick has no less than 15 books right now that will be returned this week to the library. I have requested a few that were at other branches and hope they have arrived!

I was in the Eudora Welty Library on Thursday, and thought I had a moment of clairity with a fellow attendee at Marshall's presentation..but maybe not.

~:>

2:47 PM  
Blogger The Library Guy said...

It is interesting. Now I'm wondering how I provided you with that info...

6:33 AM  
Blogger Christy said...

Hmmmmm...I guess that would make me number 1,000,000,001

I guess I can live with that!

haha!

8:33 AM  
Blogger The Topiary Cow said...

Ah, Library Guy, it wasn't one of your posts but through a librarian blog links on your site...

Cow would rather give TOO much credit than not enough.

Moo!

8:49 AM  
Blogger The Topiary Cow said...

Christy,

Your number is already taken. Thats the number of desserts a Topiary Cow can have on moovie night.

YOU can be 1,000,000,002.

Moo!

8:50 AM  
Blogger The Topiary Cow said...

Clucky,

Your book reading is impressive, especially for a chicken.

Moo!

8:51 AM  
Blogger Supermom said...

*raising hand*

I have a library card. And I have a book checked out right now and two on 'order'.

OK, I'll confess. They are books for my son.

But I do have a library card and I do use it. There's something neat about teaching your child the dewey decimal system and letting him go on a scavanger hunt for a wanted book.

Only he has it easy. He just goes to a computer kiosk to find where the book is shelved. In my day, we had to go through smelly old yellowed cards.

9:57 AM  
Blogger The Topiary Cow said...

Super mom teaches her son the dewey decimal system?

So that he can find books for himself?

With the help of the on-line card catalog?

Super mom truly IS super mom!

Most kids coming to the library have no idea of what book they want, much less how the system is organized so they can find it.

Moo!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Supermom said...

As a kid I loved doing it. It was like solving a puzzle and treasure hunt combined. ;-)

5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home